This chocolate bean chilli is packed full of bean goodness and the chocolate gives it a rich flavour and texture. Beans are a nutritional superfood and studies looking at the link between diet and health always find a positive correlation between increased bean consumption and improved health and longevity. Not only are they a great source of plant-based protein, they contain resistant starches which are prebiotics, acting as a food source for the good bacteria in our gut which are essential for healthy digestion. They are also a rich source of lignans, a phytonutrient which can protect against and fight cancer as well as promote heart health.
Chocolate Bean Chilli:
1 tbsp. Rapeseed Oil
1 Onion, chopped
3 Garlic Cloves, crushed
1 Red, Yellow and Green Pepper, chopped
2 cans/800g Chopped Tomatoes
1 Can/400g Red Kidney Beans, drained and rinsed
1 Can/400g Borlotti Beans, drained and rinsed
3 tsp Ground Cumin
1 tsp Chilli Flakes (add more if you like your chilli hotter)
2 tsp Paprika
1 tbsp. Tomato Puree
30g Dark Chocolate 70% cocoa solids
- Cook the onion and garlic in the pan with the oil until softened.
- Add the peppers and cook for another few minutes.
- Add the ground cumin, paprika and chilli flakes and stir.
- Add the chopped tomatoes, beans and tomato puree and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Reduce the heat and stir in the dark chocolate that has been broken into small pieces just before serving.
- Serve with brown rice and coriander.